En Español



Very usefull links



PW
Bookstore





News links

AP

AFP

Aljazeera

Dow Jones

Oil price

Reuters

Bloomberg

Views and News
from
Norway

 

 

 

 

Aluisio Alves, Marta Nogueira -Petrobras to halt Odebrecht drilling after accident

 

 

 

By Aluisio Alves, Marta Nogueira

SAO PAULO/RIO DE JANEIRO
Petroleumworld 11 07 2017

Brazil's state-controlled oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA has asked Odebrecht's offshore drilling arm to halt operations of a rig, according to a document seen by Reuters on Monday, after an explosion there killed three people in June.

Petrobras also threatened to cancel contracts related to the Norbe VIII rig, according to an undated internal memo sent by Roberto Simoes, chief executive of Odebrecht Oil and Gas (OOG), Odebrecht's offshore drilling unit.

Contract cancellations would be another blow for Odebrecht, which has been targeted in corruption probes in Brazil and elsewhere in Latin America.

OOG, which has struggled in the wake of a widespread slowdown in the region and restricted access to credit following the scandals, reached an agreement with creditors to restructure billions of dollars in debt earlier this year.

A workers' union said in June that the blast occurred in the Marlim field during maintenance of a boiler. The rig began operating again in July, according to the memo, but it was unclear whether the work had been halted since then.

OOG declined to comment. In an email, Petrobras declined to comment on a request to halt operations but confirmed it has not made a decision about cancelling a services contract for Norbe VIII.

Simoes said the request to halt the rig came after an internal Petrobras commission studied the causes of the Marlim field accident, according to the memo.

Petrobras “concluded its work and requested that we stop operations of the drilling rig,” the statement said, adding that OOG was given 15 days to respond to the allegations.

Petrobras also said it could terminate the contracts related to the unit due to the incident, OOG said.

According to Simões, OOG set up its own commission to investigate the accident, and has taken steps to prevent similar incidents from happening again.



Nota por Aluisio Alves in Sao Paulo and Marta Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro; Writing by Alexandra Alper; Editing by Richard Chang from Reuters.

reuters.com 11 06 2017

We invite all our readers to share with us
their views and comments about this article.
Write to editor@petroleumworld.com

By using this link, you agree to allow PW
to publish your comments on our letters page.

Any question or suggestions,
please write to: editor@petroleumworld.com

Best Viewed with IE 5.01+ Windows NT 4.0, '95,
'98,ME,XP, Vista, Windows 7,8,10 +/ 800x600 pixels

Nov 13-14 ;
Mexico City, Mexico

 

 

 

 

TOP

Contact: editor@petroleumworld.com,

Editor & Publisher:Elio Ohep/
Contact Email: editor@petroleumworld.com

CopyRight © 1999-2016, Paul Ohep F. - All Rights Reserved. Legal Information

PW in Top 100 Energy Sites

CopyRight©1999-2017, Petroleumworld ™  / Elio Ohep - All rights reservedThis site is a public free site and it contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of business, environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have chosen to view the included information for research, information, and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission fromPetroleumworld or the copyright owner of the material.