PW
Español

 

PW
Guyana
Surinam


PW
Trinidad

& Tobago
Caribbean

 

Prices
Graphics

 




Very usefull links



PW
Bookstore





News links

AP

AFP

Aljazeera

Dow Jones

Oil price

Reuters

Bloomberg

Views and News
from
Norway

 

 

 

 

YPF to boost hydrocarbons investment
by 73% in 2021to rebuild output


Mercopress


Company is trying to reduce near-term debt payments

- Focus will be on returning to oil and gas production growth
- Available cash is key to investment

By Charles Newbery/Platts

BUENOS AIRES
Petroleumworld 01 29 2021

Argentina's state-backed energy company YPF plans to ramp up it investment 73% this year, with the brunt of the increased spending going toward rebuilding oil and natural gas production after a 10% slump in 2020, a company source said Jan. 26.

YPF aims to increase investment in its upstream business more than 90% this year compared with 2020, making it possible to "stabilize" oil and gas production and set it up to return to growth despite the natural declines at maturing conventional fields, the source said on the condition of not being named, citing company policy.

The plan, however, hinges on "the availability of cash," the source added.

To free up cash for investment, the source said YPF is trying to restructure $6.2 billion in international bonds, but so far bondholders have objected to its proposal. In response, the company has improved the offer to limit losses for bondholders while making a return to production growth more viable than if nothing were done.

"One of the objectives of this debt refinancing is to allocate funds to increase investments that make it possible to reverse the decline in the production of gas and oil in recent years," the source said.

Bondholders have until Feb. 8 to accept the offer.

Argentina's biggest oil and natural gas producer, YPF cannot readily borrow money on the international capital markets because the country is mired in its third year of a financial crisis, deterring lenders. This means it must rely on cash flow, which has been only slowly recovering after an eight-month lockdown of the economy last year slashed sales of diesel and gasoline. As a result, YPF's upstream and downstream investment plunged to $934 million in the first nine months of 2020 from $3.3 billion in all of 2019, according to company data.

In a November conference call with investors, YPF CEO Sergio Affronti said the company's total oil and gas production was likely to decline 10% in 2020 from 2019, but he added that as demand recovers the company will be able to gradually increase output.

YPF has since said that it plans to invest more in enhanced recovery techniques in its conventional fields to squeeze more out of the maturing reserves, while pursing growth in Vaca Muerta, one of the world's largest shale plays. The company wants to boost its share of crude production from Vaca Muerta to 25% of the total in 2021 from 20% in November 2020, and then take it to 45% or 50% in 2022 or 2023. YPF is the biggest producer in the play

______________


By Charles Newbery from S&P Global Platts

spglobal.com
01 25 2021

TOP

Contact: editor@petroleumworld.com,

Editor & Publisher:Elio Ohep /
Contact Email: editor@petroleumworld.com

CopyRight © 1999-2021, Elio Ohep A. - All Rights Reserved. Legal Information

PW in Top 100 Energy Sites

CopyRight©1999-2021, Petroleumworld   / Elio Ohep - All rights reserved

This site is a public free site and it contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of business, environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have chosen to view the included information for research, information, and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission fromPetroleumworld or the copyright owner of the material.